The aim of the course is to provide a detailed understanding of the fundamental principles of molecular biology, tissue culture and to attain an appreciation of how biology works at its most basic gene ad protein levels, as well as an understanding of gene manipulation techniques based on the premise that genetic information, from genes to proteins, is a resource that can be manipulated in various ways to achieve certain goals in both pure, applied science and medicine. The course lays the foundation for enabling the fellows to understand and apply molecular biology, genetic engineering and tissue culturing in advanced specialized areas.
Intended Learning Outcomes of the Course (ILO’s)
Knowledge and Understanding:
- Understand biological information transfer and how genetic constitutions describe the diversity of life forms
- Understand the structural and mechanistic aspects of molecular biology.
- Understand the basis of genetic engineering (working with nucleic acids and the tools of genetic engineering).
- Understand the methodology of gene manipulation (host cells and vectors, cloning strategies, the polymerase chain reaction, selection, screening and analysis of recombinants).
- Understand the basics of protein biology, post translation modification
- Design, analyze, and evaluate a proteomic experiment
- Understand the difference between genome and proteome in terms of biology and complexity
- Hands on training on a simple proteomics platform including protein extraction, one dimensional fractionation on SDS-PAGE and gel staining.
- Understand the basic requirements for growing mammalian cells in culture
- Understand sources of contamination, methods to prevent contamination, and identify contaminated cell cultures.
- Understand methods to assess cell viability.
- Stimulate scientific abilities.
- Synthesize information from a variety of sources.
- Demonstrate competence in a wide range of modern molecular biology techniques.
Professional and Practical Skills
- Apply molecular biology, genetic engineering, protein handling and tissue culturing techniques in specialized areas of the medical and basic sciences
- Learn the experimental approach for solving problems and making new discoveries in medical and basic research.